The landscape of recruiting and sourcing is ever changing. Where there used to be calm oceans a few years back, sky-high mountains loom today. This makes it really important for you to stay at the top of your game and there are some excellent recruiting certifications out there that can help you do exactly that.
That being said, recruiting is a profession of practice. No book, no course can make you a top grade Recruiter. You become a great recruiter by putting in everything you’ve got day after day for years. However, there are resources out there that can make this journey easier for you.
What is a recruitment certification?
There are many kinds of recruitment certificates, the most ubiquitous being HRCI(HR Certification Institute) and SHRM(Society for Human Resource Management). It is a valuable addition to your work experience and helps you learn the new trends and stay updated with the current techniques.
Benefits of getting trained and certifications
Recruitment and sourcing certificates equip you with an edge over other in an industry that is evolving quickly. We compiled a list of great training programs and certifications so that you don’t have to!
HRCI(HR Certification Institute) is a prestigious certification institute. With a track record of 40 years, HRCI alumni line up the Fortune 500 senior leadership ranks. There are some clear benefits on getting certified from HRCI. The prominent ones being careers advancement and a measure of competency that makes it easier for others to trust your skills.
HRCI offers a multitude of certifications and courses varying in your experience level as well as geographical focus.
List of courses offered by HRCI
- aPHR (Associate Professional in Human Resources)- This is tailored for those beginning their career in HR.
- PHR (Professional in Human Resources)- The PHR certification adds great credibility to your presence in the HR field.
- PHRca (Professional in Human Resources – California)- the PHRca certification establishes that you are an HR professional who has mastered the laws, regulations and HR management practices unique to the state of California.
- SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)- SPHR certification solidifies your credibility as an HR leader
- GPHR (Global Professional in Human Resources)- GPHR certification validates your expertise of cross-border HR.
- PHRi (Professional in Human Resources – International)- This is tailored for those beginning their career in HR internationally.
- SPHRi (Senior Professional in Human Resources – International)- This is tailored for senior professionals looking to get certified Independent of geographic region, the credential complements local HR practices.
- The PHR is great for people already working in HR and planning to continue to do so. The exam focuses more on the tactical, practical aspects of HR and less on business strategy and management. If you want to stay in HR for the next 5 years, then the PHR course is the best match for you. If you intend to expand to other areas of the business or if you have an inclination towards designing HR policy or influencing business strategy, the SPHR might be a better match for you.
Cost: The cost of the exam is $395 and the application Fee is $100
Where: It is a computer-based exam at a Pearson VUE testing center
Eligibility: The PHR certificate eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Have at least one year of experience in HR and at least a Master’s degree
- Have at least two years of experience and a Bachelor’s
- Have at least four years of experience and a HS diploma
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is one of the world’s largest human resource society which comprises of 3,00,000 professionals across 165 countries. They have been researching and setting HR practice standards for over 7 decades now.
SHRM offers courses at two levels:
- SHRM-CP (Certified Professional)- This certification is ideal for early and mid-career HR candidates.
- SHRM-SCP (Senior Certified Professional)- This certification is ideal for senior-level HR candidates.
This is a great choice for those who have been in this field for quite some time. If you have 6-8 years of experience and are in the director-level or higher, this course will equip you with skills to take up the ownership to drive the overall business direction.
If you are considering an MBA course, SHRM is an alternative you can think of. While MBA focuses on a large spectrum of business functions, SHRM courses focus exclusively on talent operations. So if you intend to switch careers in the future, then you must think further before taking up SHRM.
Eligibility: The SHRM-CP certificate eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Currently be in an HR role and have at least a Master’s degree
- Have at least one year of experience in HR and at least a Bachelor’s
- Have at least three years of experience and a high school diploma
Where: It is an online exam and has a learning system which has a lot of notes and other explanatory videos for self-study.
Cost: The charges vary from a member to a non-member between $630 to $830. If you take the membership, you get a free annual membership to the Learning System.
AIRS is one of the global leaders in recruitment training and offers 8 accredited and industry recognized courses that are packed with innovative approaches and latest recruitment and sourcing strategies. They offer both training courses as well as certification for various aspects of internet recruitment.
Some of the courses are as listed below:
- Certified Internet Recruiter (CIR)- For those looking to demonstrate internet sourcing knowledge amongst leading corporates.
- Advanced Certified Internet Recruiter (ACIR) – This one is for advanced level sourcing professionals.
- Certified Diversity Recruiter (CDR)– Equips you with a variety of tools and resources that can be added to any sourcing strategy
- Certified Social Sourcing Recruiter (CSSR)- This course is for those looking for expertise on social media recruitment.
- Certified Social Media Recruiter (CSMR)– This course is for those who want to learn how to quickly and effectively locate user profiles and gather competitive intelligence.
- Professional Recruiter Certification (PRC)- takes you step-by-step through every aspect of recruiting including requisition evaluation, implementing Recruiting Agreements with hiring managers and clients, leveraging tools for pipelining candidates, preparing for cold calls, effective contracting and negotiating methodologies, and then implementing and executing a successful interview process.
Cost: The cost is approximately $995 .
Eligibility: Anybody in the recruitment industry with basic to intermediate level skills.
Where: The training courses are available both online and on-site.
The National Association of Personnel Services (NAPS) is a membership-based recruiting organization. The association offers two recruiter certification programs, Certified Personnel Consultant (CPC) and Certified Temporary Staffing-Specialist (CTS). You may take the exam whether you are a member or non-member of the association. Each program includes a manual, examination, and certification.
Certified Personnel Consultant (CPC) credential which is a comprehensive recruitment and staffing industry certification. Interested candidates must demonstrate a broad knowledge of legal understanding of employment in the U.S. The CPC certification confirms that the candidate has a clear understanding of laws that govern the employment relationship in the US.
Cost: The certification cost which includes the manual, exam fee and the certificate costs different for members and non-members. For members, it’s $350 and for non-members, it’s $550.
Eligibility: You must be currently employed in the HR and recruitment industry to get this certification. It’s not for absolute beginners.
Where: There is an online as well as an offline option. There is also a preparation module available.
Social Talent is one of our favorites! Apart from running one of the biggest recruiting blogs in the world, Social talent has some awesome courses. There are two very compelling reasons what makes Social talent stand apart.
- Focus on practical aspects: Social talent courses are full of anecdotes and practical practices. It’s courses teach you to think objectively and gives you a mental model to deal with various challenges you will face in your careers as a recruiter and sourcer.
- Bite-sized course: Social talent courses are on-demand and bite-sized. It fits your schedule perfectly and delivered completely online with a beautiful way to track progress and accomplishment.
The course levels are organised in the Ninja format(One more reason to love them!)
- Orange Belt
- Blue Belt
- Brown Belt
- Black Belt
Their course is comprehensive with expert trainers and customized for populations of various size. They focus on in-depth internet recruitment skills and innovative strategies. They assure to train you to be able to find niche talent on the internet and how to manage your talent pipeline more effectively.
Cost: Depends on your size and course taken. Talk to their sales team on their website.
Eligibility: Anyone can take these courses. Best suited for rookie and intermediate level recruiters and sourcers.
People Sourcing Certification Program
The Certified People Sourcing Professional credential (CPSP) is the international industry standard for demonstrating proficiency in Sourcing. It is a 60 questions exam and the credentials remain valid for two years from the date of issue of your certificate. If you wish to renew your certification, you have to appear for the exam again. It does not require any continuing education credit. To help you prepare for the exam, there are live sourcing sessions and a training library with lots of preparation material.
Cost: It costs $199 to appear for the exam and is free for those who have subscribed for the training library.
Eligibility: Anybody interested and working in the sourcing industry with basic to intermediate level skills.
Where: It is an online test and the training subscription is also through the online medium.
Linkedin Certified Professional – Recruiter
LinkedIn Recruiter Certification validates your skills in finding, engaging and managing talent effectively and demonstrates your proficiency in Linkedin Recruiter. This will help you become a trusted advisor in your network and to your business partners. You can prepare for the exam with the help of materials from the Talent Solutions Learning Center.
Cost: The fee for the exam is $199.
Eligibility: Anybody interested in internet recruitment with basic to intermediate level skills.
Where: There is an online as well as an on-site option available for the exam.