Level 8: Director of Engineering
Employment Type: Full-Time Experience: 20+ years
Job Type: Director of Engineering Manages Others: Yes
Licensure: PE, SE (Preferred), Advanced Credentials (Preferred) Required Travel: <35%
Education: Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree (Preferred),
Doctorate's Degree (Preferred)
- Makes authoritative decisions and recommendations that are conclusive and have a broad influence on the organization.
- Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive programs and activities of major consequence.
- Leads engineering meetings focused on quality, project management, and service delivery.
- Creates an environment of growth, technical excellence, and operational efficiency to enable our team to provide world-class service and cost-effective solutions for the success of our clients.
- Performs advisory or consulting work for the organization for broad program areas or an intensely specialized area with innovative or important aspects.
- Co-creates and executes key systems, processes, trainings, and continuous improvement efforts to ensure projects with adherence to all internal and external standards.
- Makes recommendations regarding onboarding and optimal resource allocation to complete projects on-time, on-budget, and with high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Provides proactive, meaningful, and real-time learning opportunities to increase the confidence, competence, and satisfaction of team members.
- Creates, measure, and provide accountability on meaningful performance measures to increase manager engagement, individual growth, and a high internal NPS (net promoter score).
- Improves and ensures adherence to key systems and policies to achieve optimal utilization rates and spent/budget ratios.
- Leads an entire program of critical importance.
- Leads SSE engineering teams.
- Decides the kind and extent of engineering and related programs needed for accomplishing the objectives of an organization.
- Receives general administrative direction from the CEO and COO.
- Requires proficient use of the English language, both verbal and written.
- Possesses exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Interacts regularly with organization leaders, clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others.
- Initiates and maintains extensive contacts with key engineers, officials, and/or other organizations and companies.
- Demonstrates skills in persuasion and negotiation of critical issues.
- Negotiates critical and controversial issues with top-level engineers and officers of other organizations and companies.
- Conducts presentations.
- Represents SSE at important functions or conferences, including media interviews as required.
- Experience: 20+ years.
- License or Certificate:
- Professional Engineer.
- Structural Engineer (Preferred).
- Advanced Credentials such as Specialty Certification (Preferred).
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering from an ABET/EAC accredited program.
- Master's Degree or Equivalent (Preferred).
- Doctorate's Degree or Equivalent (Preferred).
- Engaged in life-long learning to maintain knowledge of contemporary issues.
Professional Activities: Member of professional organization, national board member or officer, recognized expert on statement activity, and resource for national activities and organizations.
Community Activities: Organizes and leads community service programs; serves on local and regional planning and/or policy board(s).
- Must be physically able to conduct field inspections and testing as assigned.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
- Competitive Wages.
- Paid PTO and Holidays (if eligible).
- 401(k) with Matching Funds (if eligible).
- Discretionary Bonuses (if eligible).
- Medical/Dental/Life/Disability Insurances (if eligible).
Office environment; field environment; construction site environment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, heat, cold, and inclement weather conditions when conducting field inspections and investigations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position may require extended periods of sitting, standing, bending, and/or walking. Must be able to frequently move about and position self appropriately to complete role responsibilities. Position may require frequently lifting and/or carrying up to 20 pounds with occasional lifting and/or carrying of up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
SSE is an EOE company. We require proof of eligibility to work in the United States, an acceptable driving record, willingness to travel and periodically adjust personal schedules to meet project needs. In addition to our focused work performance goals, SSE strives to provide intangible benefits including: a fun, friendly, and family-focused environment. We enjoy a humorous office, golf, sporting events, barbeques, and more. We feel that the success of the company is not solely based upon business, but also greatly on the value and quality of life that it provides to its employees.