Chief People Officer
Children's Home Society
Sioux Falls, SD
Children's Home Society (CHS) of South Dakota is seeking a Chief People Officer (CPO) to continue its 125-year legacy of service to children, individuals, and families. *
The Chief People Officer is responsible to create and drive a comprehensive people strategy to recruit, retain, and develop an engaged workforce to help a large, established, multi-location health and human services organization fulfill its mission. The CPO reports to the Chief Executive Officer and will serve as not only a driver of people strategies but as a steward of the organization's overall strategic vision. This role will be challenging and rewarding for the right person. As a key position on the executive leadership team, it requires excellent leadership, talent strategy, analysis of positions, training and development, interpersonal skills, and relationship building. Most importantly, it requires a passion for and a drive to represent and enhance the mission and impact of Children's Home Society.
* Established in 1893 as an orphanage for abused and abandoned children, CHS is South Dakota's oldest human services nonprofit organization. Today, CHS provides emergency shelter, residential treatment and special education, forensic interviews, foster care and adoption services, and prevention programs. In addition to serving victims of child abuse and domestic violence, CHS also partners with caring parents to help children with emotional or behavioral needs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS
- Provide leadership, coaching, and support for HR staff to create optimal levels of engagement, retention, and team member growth.
Employee Engagement, Culture, and Retention
- Partner with leaders to build and sustain a leadership culture that drives retention, engagement, employee referrals, and internal net promoter scores.
- Engage employees through opportunities for employee appreciation events, healthy collaboration to build trust, and ensure employees are heard, understood, and connected to the CHS mission and each other.
- Measure results through annual employee engagement and pulse surveys.
- Serve as an advocate for employees at all levels, understanding demands, pressures and expectations of positions in order to serve the needs and provide solutions to the CHS workforce.
- Actively evaluate and review compensation rates, benefits packages, work schedules, to ensure they remain attractive to current and future employees in a cost-effective way for the organization.
- Encourage participation in the CHS benefits program, including health, retirement, life and disability insurance, and the Employee Assistance Program.
Workforce Planning and Recruitment
- Anticipate and solve problems related to the workforce, including strategies to hire exceptional talent, retention, satisfaction, the impact of operational changes, and the unique schedules and demands of a 24/7 human service operation.
- Expand and implement an onboarding experience that facilitates a strong foundation to CHS's values, accelerates confidence in carrying out roles, and provides a supportive initial introductory period for each new employee.
Employee Development and Training
- Grow and strengthen CHS training and development programs to continue to provide current and expanded top-notch services throughout the state.
- Work with CHS leaders to develop intentional and proactive individual development plans for employees to increase engagement, support growth, and strengthen succession preparation in each department.
- Serve as a mentor, coach, and advisor for leadership throughout the organization regarding management, performance issues, opportunities, and recognition.
- Create and ensure adherence to policies and procedures, to comply with all relevant human resources rules and regulations, conducting internal HR audits as needed.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- High levels of emotional intelligence to get results through collaboration and connection versus formal authority
- Passion to serve and help others maximize their potential
- Outstanding leadership and management skills to drive and achieve results through cohesive teams
- Utilize effective processes to make decisions
- Ability to hold self and others accountable to commitments, actions, and goals
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, effectively communicating, building rapport and relating well to all kinds of people, both internally and externally
- Must be able to work well with a wide variety of individual and teams
- Treat others fairly, regardless of personal biases or beliefs; diplomacy in interactions, ultimately conducting business in a manner that supports the mission
- A strong advocate for employee development and coaching
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, human resources, or related field
- Master's degree preferred
- Seven or more years of relevant HR leadership experience preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The comprehensive benefits package for this position includes:
- Competitive salary based on experience
- 8% company contribution to retirement pension plan
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Group life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Paid time off
- Employee assistance program
- Short and long-term disability
- Ten paid holidays
Sagency, a Midwest-based leadership consulting and executive search firm, has been retained by Children's Home Society to conduct this search in partnership with the executive team. Sagency consultants will review and evaluate all interested parties to help our client review a final group for consideration. The search will be facilitated by Mike Meagher and Tami Kilzer of Sagency.
The search will be conducted in professional manner and all potential candidates will be given consideration. Candidate conversations and information will be handled with great discretion and confidentiality. Sagency and our client are equal opportunity employers.
If after reading the Opportunity Profile you believe your experience, skills, and passion may be a strong match for this role, we would like to engage with you. Please read below for the first part of the application and selection process.
THE APPLICATION AND INTERVIEW PROCESS
Step 1: Interested candidates complete the online application.
● Copy and paste a cover letter and resume
● The online application will be posted until the position is filled. If you are interested in the position, please inquire as soon as possible.
Step 2: A Sagency Search Consultant may schedule a 30-minute interview (phone call) with qualified candidates.
Step 3: A Sagency Search Consultant will schedule an additional 60-minute interview with specific candidates.
Step 4: After this initial interview process with Sagency, qualified candidates will be asked to complete an online assessment prior to scheduling an interview with our client.
Step 5: First round interviews with Children’s Home Society.
Please contact Tami Kilzer at 701.371.3324 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike Meagher at 701-388-0650 or email@example.com with any questions.
Thank you for your time and interest in this position.