Commercial HVAC Service Manager
Top 5 Must Haves For The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum of 5 years of working knowledge in Commercial/Industrial HVAC.
- At least 3 years of management experience leading field and office personnel.
- Can read, interpret, utilize and train on manuals, schematics and control circuits related to HVAC, Refrigeration, and Electrical.
- Technical aptitude and advanced mechanical skills to relate with field technicians when additional support needed.
- Good computer skills with a knowledge of proficiency in Microsoft programs and HVAC service/job costing/dispatch software.
Our client provides award-winning mechanical construction, HVAC and Plumbing service to general contractors; high-tech companies; property management firms; local, state, and federal government agencies; and hospitals and laboratories. Since its inception in 2009, the company has been committed to developing long-term relationships with its customers through a dedication to building systems knowledge and expertise, superior service, practical applications of advanced technology, and continuing education and training.
- Mechanical System Knowledge: - Competent understanding of systems for both project and maintenance agreements. Effectively price and recommend maintenance programs.
- Service Projects: Audit required documents prior to start of work. Ensure inclusions of all pertinent information. Assure personnel doing the work are well informed on the scope of work. Perform project work as required. Understand timing of work and how it relates to others. Develop and communicate schedule and suppliers. Expedite and achieve schedules through the dispatcher. Assure all equipment, materials, and subcontracts are ordered and delivered on time. Maintain a master schedule showing current status and plan for all assigned projects.
- Gross Profit Redemption: Redeem planned gross profit through leadership and management of staff
- Field Labor Utilization: Establish and monitor guidelines to determine field labor requirements. Recommend changes to requirements based on annual operating plan and performance against plan.
- Purchasing: Understand purchase requirements. Direct and monitor staff in the preparation of requisitions in a timely manner for materials, equipment, subcontracts. Secure cooperation of sales personnel as required.
- Time Management/Planning: Demonstrate ability to accurately determine job priorities by scheduling personnel and materials with the dispatcher. Assure proper staffing, training, tools, test equipment, systems and procedures are in place to allow staff to complete all work in a cost-effective and high-quality manner. Coordinates all work through staff. Plan project work to assure field personnel, material, and equipment are on the job at the right time.
- Project Schedules: Understand timing of the work and how it relates to others. Direct and monitor staff in development, communication, and redemption of schedules. Resolve schedule conflicts as required. Monitor project schedules to assure timely completion of work.
- Cash Flow: Instruct and direct staff to close all completed jobs and expedite billing. Regularly monitor billings and take action to assure maximum cash flow. Drive and participate in Accounts Receivable collection activities to the Days Sales Outstanding goals.
- Documentation: Train, direct, and evaluate staff in the proper, accurate, and timely completion of all paperwork. Assure compliance with company standards. Report progress and estimate deviations, and customer complaints in writing.
- Company Relations: Build rapport and productive working relationships with managers, supervisors, staff, field, and other personnel to influence decisions for purchasing, scheduling, installations, work completion as well as the sales and business systems functions.
- Sales Participation: Understand the relationship between performance, customer satisfaction, and new business. Understand and keep staff informed of sales objectives. Promote new business and upgrading of existing agreements by instructing and directing staff to generate and report leads and sales opportunities. Support sales force on calls as required. Acquire and maintain knowledge of pricing policies and procedures for all services.
- Codes, Standards, and System Requirements: Understand mechanical systems and appropriate codes and industry standards. Assure permits are secured where applicable. Instruct and direct staff to provide design assistance to sales force as requested.
- Field Productivity: Provide material, directions, tools, and logistical support to field personnel to assure maximum productivity. Motivate the work force and maintain high employee morale. Effectively staff jobs and control labor costs within assigned cost limits. Perform billable work as required to assure operating plan is redeemed.
- Status Reporting: Conduct regular status reporting/review meetings with staff and managers. Compile information gathered, combine with personal observations and make recommendations to the General Manager/Operations Manager on all matters affecting service operation.
- Systems and Programs: Regularly review operating policies, procedures, and methods. Measure effectiveness of existing programs, identify problems or weaknesses, and recommend new methods or corrective action. Establish policies and procedures necessary for smooth and timely internal administration of the department.
- Annual Planning/Strategic Review: Review historical data and current conditions. Forecast work force, labor (by type) burden, organizational changes, vehicle requirements, and actual gross profit levels.
- Material Control: Instruct and direct staff to ensure cost effective and efficient use of equipment, tools, and materials while ensuring efficient field operations.
- Expense Control: Instruct, direct, and monitor staff in applying principles of cost/benefit to gain maximum utilization of company resources. Maintain budget goals.
- Agreement Escalation/Salvage: Instruct and direct staff to know the customer and understand market forces to support the sales force in effectively selling price escalations. Instruct and direct staff to support the sales force in prompt response to notices of cancellation and the development of well-researched salvage plans.
- Customer Relations: Promptly address customer complaints to assure resolution and maintain long-term relationships. Act as primary local customer contact for project activities; liaise with customer to discuss contract changes/modifications, staffing, and technical performance.
- Response to Trouble (Emergency) Calls: Instruct and direct staff to promptly respond to customer trouble calls and resolve problems quickly and efficiently while building and maintaining customer confidence and satisfaction.
- Management: Delegate, organize work of others by position description and procedures; encourage mutual agreement on objectives. Effectively audit performance of staff and follow-up. Recommend appropriate personnel actions; i.e., hiring, firing, promotions, demotions, compensation, etc.
- Training: Motivate and train staff. Develop and implement programs to improve skills of staff as individuals as well as a group. Assure technical capabilities for field force is consistent with current contractual commitments and market strategy.
- Continuous Recruitment: Promote professionalism and pride in order to attract high-promise human resources. Continually build and maintain a network of contacts. Create a Central Candidate/Source file of potential recruits and sources.
- Special Projects: Provide support for any special projects as assigned by your manager. These special projects, at the determination of you manager, may or may not become part of this position’s primary responsibilities.
Compensation & Location
This position is in Elk Grove Village, IL (Chicago). This is a full-time position that is available for immediate hire. A meaningful compensation package will be developed for the successful candidate that will include a base salary, performance bonus and comprehensive benefits; and if needed a relocation assistance package will be provided. This opportunity requires authorization to work in the United States.