Loop Energy is helping build a zero-emissions world – and we need your help!
We are a Canadian based industry-leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of hydrogen fuel cell systems - our products are reshaping the industry with an unmatched combination of fuel efficiency, power density and fuel efficiency.
We have recently raised 100 million dollars, now publicly traded, and excited about our future.
We are seeking a skilled and experienced Senior Fuel Cell Stack Engineer for a key role within our growing Stack Development Team. Reporting to the Stack Development Manager, the Senior Fuel Cell Stack Engineer will bring a demonstrated expertise in a fuel cell environment (specifically fuel cell stack or system design), developed stakeholder management skills and advanced knowledge of full product cycles, from concept to market launch.
The successful candidate will bring a strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of manufacturing methods, have solid time management, problem-solving and communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as collaborate with the various engineering teams at Loop Energy.
The Senior Fuel Cell Stack Engineer will be responsible for the detailed design and function of the fuel cell stack assembly in a highly technical, fast-paced environment, while proactively pushing through barriers and challenges to deliver innovative results within a company making a difference!
Each day will be different, yet key responsibilities and expectations include:
- Working with the product engineers, the candidate is responsible to ensure that all customer requirements are met in the design of new fuel cell stacks
- Working with the field service engineers, the candidate is responsible to ensure that all customer requirements are met for commercial fuel cell stacks in terms of performance, reliability, durability, and cost
- Working with other members of the Stack Development Team, the candidate will be responsible to understand and direct the design of all elements for the fuel cell stack assembly
- Support development of testing methodologies to validate the design against the customer requirements
- Keep all stakeholders aware of changes, discuss design with suppliers to receive feedback towards best manufacturing methods
- Design, analyze and troubleshoot capabilities; must be able to identify and mitigate key risks with design
- Provide field support during product launches and throughout the life of the products as required to ensure customer satisfaction
- Keep up to date on state-of-the-art plate design from patents and competitors’ landscape
- Drive the stack development team towards continuous improvement and cost reduction/DFMA activities
- Interface with stack team engineers, systems engineering, engine engineering, quality, manufacturing and purchasing teams
- Manage product cycles from concept to market launch, including testing and post-launch support
- Support prototype builds and tear down analysis of test or field units.
- Perform system validation and verification
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
- 10-15 years of experience in product design
- 10 years of experience in a Fuel Cell environment, specifically in stack or system design
- Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of manufacturing methods (plates, seals, MEAs, assembly, etc)
- Strong understanding of fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer
- Understanding of fuel cell electrochemical reactions
- Understanding of design verification and validation, ability to incorporate learnings in future designs
- Ability to bring products from prototype level to a high-volume design
- Product development skills: DFMEA, DFMA, tolerance analysis, GD&T
- 3D CAD design experience (SolidWorks preferred)
- Unit Cell Specific FEA/CFD experience (Comsol/Ansys/Matlab)
- VA/VE experience an asset
- Application of structured problem-solving methods (8D, 5-whys)
- Pro-active; ability to meet deadlines
- A team player, willing to collaborative with team to ensure all needs are met
- Strong attention to detail with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office
Why you should join Loop Energy?
- Rare opportunity to join a company making a difference
- A chance to work within a Canadian company in high growth and a bright future
- Competitive salary and comprehensive company paid health and dental benefits
- Flexible Lifestyle and Health Spending Accounts
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Opportunities for career advancement
Please apply asap as we are interviewing immediately! No cover letter required.