Loop Energy is helping build a zero-emissions world – and we need your help!
We are a Canadian based industry-leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of hydrogen fuel cell systems - our products are reshaping the industry with an unmatched combination of fuel efficiency, power density and fuel efficiency.
We have recently raised 100 million dollars, now publicly traded, and excited about our future.
We are seeking a skilled and experienced Senior Power Electronics System Engineer for a key role within our growing engineering team. Reporting to the Principal Engineer, the Senior Power Electronics System Engineer will bring a background in related power engineering work to lead design, release, test and field activities for power electronics, power management control systems and DC-DC converters.
The successful candidate will bring a proven ability to design power electronics, understand and manage complex technical projects, have solid organizational, problem-solving and communication abilities, and the ability to work independently as well as collaborate with various teams at Loop Energy.
Power electronics are key enablers for putting hydrogen fuel cells on the road, as part of the Loop Energy team, the Senior Power Electronics System Engineer will engineer and deliver complex, technical designs for products in a flexible, fast-paced environment, while proactively pushing through barriers and challenges to deliver results within a company making a difference!
Each day will be different, yet key responsibilities and expectations include:
- Develop & specify system and component level requirements for power electronic systems from vehicle level requirements (including functional, cost, packaging, safety, EMC/EMI)
- Define and release product & process specification documents, detailed drawings, process and instrumentation diagrams, control logic diagrams and DFMEAs
- Create, deliver and refine power electronic system designs that meet defined requirements and in accordance with applicable external standards
- Collaborate with Procurement and Quality groups to identify, mature, and source power electronic components and systems
- Define and evaluate the product safety concept
- Assist in the design of software and controls logic for power electronics and its interface to the fuel cell module and vehicle systems
- Develop test plans for power electronics at component, system, and vehicle level to ensure design robustness to requirements
- Troubleshoot and root cause product field failures of power electronics and converters including onsite investigations, physical inspection, testing of failed units, reviewing data logs and correlating with product specifications and reviewing manufacturing and installation processes for cause(s) of failure
- Lead prototyping and debugging of power electronic boards and componentry and mature of supply chain from engineering/technical perspective
- Assist in preparation of technical documents including test procedures, test reports and product manuals
- Willingness to work outside of one's immediate role to deliver collective goals
- Seek and consolidate input from team members and stakeholders within and across functional boundaries
- Discuss and align concepts and designs with suppliers to arrive to optimum solutions
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering
- Registered, or eligible to register, as a Professional Engineer
- Demonstrated experience in the design, development, test and evaluation of high voltage power electronics, power converters, digital control systems, and/or embedded systems
- Proven experience in design, release, validation, troubleshooting and customer integration of power electronics for vehicle powertrains
- Knowledge of control logic, confirmation and programming
- Experience with dynamic simulation of control and process systems using MATLAB and Simulink
- Proficient in electrical system design (i.e., Altium, PCAD) and simulation tools (i.e., PSIM, SPICE)
- Proven track record of power control board and analog circuit design for electronic devices
- Hands on skills using oscilloscopes, current probes, frequency analyzers, and soldering for breadboard builds
- Working knowledge of EMC/EMI testing and applicable transportation standards
- Ability to generate and understand engineering documents and schematics
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Capable of working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Self-starter capable of working in a pro-active manner with minimal supervision
- Familiar with structured problem-solving methods (i.e., 8D)
- Proficient in MS Office products for day-to-day computing
- An asset yet not required - experience with embedded software for power electronics, git, and Linux
Why you should join Loop Energy?
- Rare opportunity to join a company making a difference
- A chance to work within a Canadian company in high growth and a bright future
- Competitive salary and comprehensive company paid health and dental benefits
- Flexible Lifestyle and Health Spending Accounts
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Opportunities for career advancement
Please apply asap as we are interviewing immediately! No cover letter required.