Caper builds smart shopping carts powered by deep learning and computer vision to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience. We differ from other emerging cashierless technologies like Amazon Go because we are the scalable solution. Caper’s autonomous checkout technology is plug and play, meaning it requires no in-store renovation, no operational overhaul, no heavy computations, or endless image labeling. Any retailer can buy the carts and their entire store is upgraded with cashierless capabilities. Caper costs less than 1% of Amazon Go's infrastructure. We are already live in-stores and our customers love us!
Caper is the fastest-growing company in retail automation technology and is backed by Lux Capital, First Round Capital, Y Combinator along with top executives from Google, Walmart, Instacart, Plated, and Albertsons with over $13M in funding to date. While e-commerce accounts for 8% of total retail spending, Caper is innovating the other 92% of the untapped offline retail potential.
As a Hardware Co-Lead, you would lead a team of skilled and experienced Hardware Engineers alongside Caper's hardware co-founder.
- Serve as technical lead throughout the full product execution lifecycle, from scoping, planning, conception, design, implementation, and testing, to documentation, delivery, and maintenance
- Oversee the entire hardware development process, from ID design, hardware design, embedded system design
- Drive the hardware team to meet the needs of Caper’s long-term product roadmap
- Set annual goals and pro-actively analyze metrics to drive process improvements
- Prioritize and allocate budget and resources for products and projects
- Gather business and functional requirements from external/internal stakeholders, and translate requirements into technical specifications and architectures that are robust, scalable, and supportable with MRD, PRD
- Collaborate cross-functionally with all teams to build a cohesive process to support our product strategy
- Develop and document architecture specifications that serve as the reference for engineering and execution
- Identify and mitigate risks in the hardware team’s execution, including but not limited to ODM/OEM, supply chain, design, and mass production
- Manage and expand the hardware team. Recruit for top talents, build team structure for long term expansion, forecast headcount requirements to keep up with increasing production demand, and maintain a healthy team culture
- Bachelor. in Engineering or similar experience
- 5+ years experience in AI hardware development (As an IC)
- 3+ years experience leading teams in hardware design (from start to the end - demo, prototype to mass production)
- Experience in building teams (from 10 employees to over 50)
- Having successfully led 2+ innovative products through the full cycle, from development to mass production to market
- Solid knowledge and experience with image sensors, image processing chips, high-speed PCB design, and power management
- Fluent in English (spoken and written) and Chinese
- Vendor resources such as ID design studios, OEMs, ODMs
- Strategic thinker with good decision-making skills and communication skills
- Highly self-motivated with a strong bias towards action, compassion, inclusivity, and excellent problem-solving skills
- Quick-minded, creative, honest, and understanding while remaining action and results-oriented.