Caper builds smart shopping carts - powered by deep learning and computer vision - to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience. Caper differentiates from technologies like Amazon Go by creating a plug-and-play solution that does not require store renovation, operational overhaul, heavy compute and endless image labeling & training; retailers can just buy the carts, and the entire store is upgraded with cashierless capabilities. Caper costs less than 1% of Amazon Go's infrastructure, and it is already actively being used in the market.
Caper is the fastest-growing retail automation technology company and is backed by First Round Capital, Y Combinator, and top executives from Instacart, Plated, Albertsons, and Walmart. E-commerce only accounts for 8% of total retail transaction volume, and Caper is innovating the other 92% to novel offline retail potential
As a Senior Product Manager you will play a key role in supporting the definition, deployment and improvements of our solutions to our end customers. You will constantly be thinking about and looking for opportunities to improve and expand on value to our end-users and customers.
The ideal candidate for this position must exhibit the ability to breakdown complex problems, analyze the different factors, synthesize a lot of information, and be able to deliver a technical product to market on-time and in scope. There will be a requirement to have ruthless prioritization, being able to understand various inputs from business and commercial needs and blending them into the product output. The ability to communicate and collaborate across technical, commercial, and business functions are absolutely key.
- Working closely with the design team and engineers to understand technical implementation complexities, identify challenges, and find ways to resolve them
- Define timelines, tasks, and critical path issues to ensure seamless / successful implementation
- Constant monitoring and management in the product to ensure quality project completion, on time and on scope, aligned with the engineering team
- Managing the QA team in order to mitigate internal and external risk for feature release to production
- Work closely and understand thoroughly our end users and client, in order to be able to define, and deliver their requirements
- Run and analyze customer feedback via surveys, concept testing, analytics tools, and A/B testing
- Measure impact and iterate on existing products, driving continuous improvement aligned with business goals
- Assist senior leadership in maintaining the product roadmap, collect insights, develop feature lists, and prioritize feature builds based on business and user needs
- 5+ years of product management experience preferably enterprise SaaS, high-tech hardware companies
- MS/BS degree in either: Computer Science, Engineering, Design, Marketing / Communications
- Demonstrated ability to manage, execute and deliver products in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated success in translating complex qualitative and quantitative customer feedback into successful products/features/solutions
- Proven track record for implementing innovative solutions to complex problems. Able to identify and assess customer needs, and how to validate them.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as a desire and capability to present new concepts, ideas and offers to various stakeholders (internal and external)
- Self-directed, yet strong team player
- Understands (with experience) various product / project management tools and processes
- Highly prefer a Senior Product Manager that has engineering background
- Senior Product Manager with experience in deploying / launching products in retail stores preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
- Highly competitive salary and equity offerings
- Attractive Health Benefits
- Unlimited snacks
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)