Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
5+ years of credit administration, loan underwriting or commercial lending experience
5 years of SBA Underwriting experience
Must have been in current role at least three years (VERY IMPORTANT)
Formal Credit training
ABOUT THE COMPANY
We're looking for driven individuals that combine great credit discipline with balanced decision making and customer focus to join our Small Business Lending team as a Small Business Underwriter.
The SBA Underwriter III role underwrites and recommends small business loan requests with Maximum Potential Exposure of up to $5 Million (new loan requests), and maintains up to $1,000,000 individual commercial loan authority for secured and unsecured loans. This individual may oversee the work of a team of Small Business Underwriters I and II, providing feedback regarding the quality and completeness of credit approval memos and ensures the team provides outstanding service to business bankers and branch managers, as well as an overall great customer service working with Business Loan advocates responsible for the end to end loan process. As some of the most experienced members of the team, Underwriter III individuals are expected to serve as thought leaders in helping define and pursue the SB Lending agenda with special projects, and help drive department’s underwriting training.
We believe Small Businesses are the heart and soul of what drives our communities and economy forward with their passion and dedication to their work and customers. Beyond our customers, they are our family, friends and neighbors. As a member of the Small Business Bank group, we’re passionate about reinventing the way Small Businesses successfully manage their money, engage with their bank, and build meaningful financial lives. It’s audacious work at a massive scale. Our group is relatively new to and we don’t shy away from challenging the status quo. Our inspiration is our small business customer — their ingenuity, scrappiness and relentless optimism for the future.
Small Business Lending is a very dynamic space. We serve borrowing needs of businesses of various sizes from relatively small businesses owned by sole proprietors, to large corporations. This requires varying levels of sophistication in underwriting to ensure effective risk management with reasonable costs in proportion to loan size.
We are competing for business with both established banks, as well as new fin tech entrants that’s shifting customer experience expectations. We are completely revamping our lending technology platform and loan production processes with customer focus and agile in mind, so we catapult the business forward in ways we can win with our customers.
We need underwriters that not only bring solid commercial underwriting experience to continue to push the underwriting team’s capabilities and high rigor in credit risk management; but also are innovative and adaptive to the needs of this dynamic space.
Underwrites and approves small business loan requests with an MPE of up to $5 million. The SBA (Small Business Administration) Underwriter II approves, conditions, or declines new loan requests up to the limit of their commercial loan authority in accordance with loan policy and portfolio performance objectives; or underwrites and then recommends approval on loan requests that are more than their commercial loan authority. These requests are submitted to either a SBB (Small Business Banking) Underwriting Manager or Credit Officer for final approval. SBA Underwriter II performs, WACs, interim and annual reviews on SBA portfolio loans.
• Underwrites and approves, conditions, or declines new loan requests up to the limit of his/her commercial loan authority in accordance with loan policy and portfolio performance objectives. Maintains up to $1,000,000 in commercial loan authority for secured and unsecured loans.
• Underwrites and then recommends approval on loan requests that are in excess of his/her commercial loan authority. These requests are submitted to either an Underwriting Manager or Credit Officer for final approval.
• May oversee Small Business Lenders I and II with feedback regarding the quality and completeness of credit approval memos, loan structure, policy knowledge, and credit scoring; and act as back up for Underwriting Managers
• Provides – and ensures his/her assigned group of underwriters provide – outstanding service to business bankers and branch managers. Works with Small Business Bankers in structuring loan requests in a manner which will best mitigate lending risks while meeting borrower needs.
• Delivers – and ensures his/her assigned group of underwriters deliver – a great overall customer experience working closely with the Business Loan Advocates that are accountable of the end to end loan process from application to funding.
• Ensures appropriate application of all bank and line of business policies and procedures; supporting and driving adherence to regulatory compliance requirements.
• Serves as thought leader in identifying and delivering improvements in our Small Business policy, underwriting, and/or risk management, driving special project work as appropriate.
• Helps drive department’s underwriting training.
• SBA underwriter performs WACs, interims and annual reviews on SBA portfolio loans